Student Success

M State Counselors are available to assist you with your transition to college. We can help you develop strategies to succeed in college as well as help you learn how to access college resources and understand college policies/procedures. Educational Counseling Resource Develop a Plan - extensive information on how to pay for college including financial aid, scholarship searches, etc. Preparing for College. Assessment Information All students will take a college assessment (Accuplacer and/or CAPP). The assessment assists counselors and advisors in placing students in the appropriate Math, Reading, and Writing courses. Students may be eligible for an assessment waiver if they have previously taken college-level Math and/or English courses or have an ACT score of 24 or higher in each of the respective subject areas. Practice test resources / Resources for Accuplacer Review College Resources Online Academic Learning Resources GPA Calculator Note: This is meant to be a tool only. See an M State counselor for any GPA questions.) How to Study Effectively and Efficiently College Jargon If all this college jargon has your head swimming check out the definitions below!
  • Adding a class - To add a class or classes to the upcoming or current schedule within a specified time frame.
  • Associate in Arts degree - The AA degree is intended primarily for students who plan to transfer to another college and to complete a bachelor's degree. The AA is considered the first half of the bachelor's degree.
  • Associate in Applied Science degree - The AAS is intended for students who plan to use the skills and knowledge gained through their degree for immediate employment. Degree is not designed to transfer although the liberal arts courses traditionally transfer well.
  • Associate in Science degree - The AS degree is intended for students who wish to balance liberal arts education with career-oriented classes. The primary purpose of the degree is to provide the credentials for a specific career. Degree does provide some limited transferability into specific colleges and programs; it is not designed for broad transferability.
  • Baccalaureate degree - Another name for the bachelor's degree.
  • Bachelor's degree - Often referred to as the "four year degree." Can not be earned at the community college, but students can typically complete the first half of the degree before they transfer.
  • Changing your major - In order for the college to provide the best service, your major needs to be accurate in our computer system. It is not uncommon for the answer to a question to be contingent on your specific career and educational goals.
  • Dropping a class - To delete a class from the upcoming or current schedule within a specified time frame. Dropped classes do not show up on the transcript and all dropped classes receive a 100% refund.
  • General education courses - Classes from various liberal arts disciplines that provide the foundation for a college degree.
  • Liberal Arts - Examples are: English, Fine Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, Physical and Natural Sciences, Math. Liberal arts are often referred to as "generals."
  • Minnesota Transfer Curriculum - A liberal education/general education curriculum that is made up of 10 goals that total 40 semester credits. It is the foundation of the Associate in Arts degree.
  • Pre-major requirements - Coursework that is required for admission to your major at a transfer college. Coursework may be part of or in addition to general education courses.
  • Withdrawing from a class - If the drop deadline has passed, students can withdraw from a class within a specified time frame. A "W" will appear on the transcript and it will not affect the GPA. Refunds are issued only to students who completely withdraw from all courses within a specified time frame.

Last modified: September 2nd, 2014 at 10:56am