M State prepares students for employment opportunities in many occupational areas. As M State counselors, we are available to assist students in resume-writing, interviewing skills and job-seeking strategies. Feel free to contact us for further information.
Have your degree? Will you soon have your degree? Ready to seek employment? Check out M State's Career and Placement Services page at careers.minnesota.edu for current job postings and opportunities for M State students.
Employers Are Looking For:
- Written communication
- Meeting minutes
- Committee chair
- Getting along with co-workers, general public conflict resolution
- Dependable, responsible, take initiative
- Occupational knowledge (e.g., accounting, electronics, carpentry)
- Computer skills (Office applications, email, Internet)
- Telecommunication devices (phone systems, fax machines, copiers)
- Related work experience (internships)
- Length of employment in previous positions
- Progressive responsibilities
- Resumes - samples and helpful hints
- Cover letter (grammatically correct, accurately states job opening, concise, address skills as described in advertisement)
- Resumé is easy to read (no single best format, length depends on previous work history)
- May choose to list personal attributes, hobbies, volunteer experiences, etc.
- Color: white, light gray - not too dark or flashy
- Dress professionally (even for a part-time job)
- Be prompt
- Have prepared questions for interview person/team
- Research company
- Day or two before interview, drive to interview site and locate building, parking lots, room/office of interview, etc.
- Act interested
- OK to ask about salary, benefits, etc.
- Company setting needs to feel "right" for both interviewee and interviewer
- Send follow-up thank you immediately after interview (mention key points during interview, re-state desire for employment)
- Always bring an extra resume and reference list
- Take part in a practice interview with a family member, friend
- Practice questions should include strengths, weaknesses, why hire you for job, experience in working in a team atmosphere