||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 6 and 8. This introductory course gives students a deeper appreciation and knowledge of Western art and the cultures that created it. This course focuses on the fascinating changes that occurred in the Italian Renaissance and continues through to modern artists and influences of the 20th century.
- Explore periods of art history, from Pre-Renaissance to 20th century.
- Examine the historic influences on the evolution of art over time.
- Identify the expressive, economic and technical impact cultures have had on artists.
- Understand that art is an expression of values and influences.
- Identify specific characteristics of a variety of art periods or styles, covered in class.
- Research one related aspect of how historic events shape art history more deeply.
- Correlate a basic knowledge of world history to specific artistic styles and periods.
- Understand that art and artifacts serve as a record of history in addition to oral and written records.
- Describe how political shifts during the Italian Renaissance, French Revolution and World War II fueled changes in art.
|MnTC goal areas:
- 6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
- 8. Global Perspective
« back to course outlines