||This course covers principles used in analyzing financial statements and budgets. Students learn how to prepare, read and analyze financial statements. Topics include analysis of income statements, balance sheets, flow of funds, risk, obtaining and spreading statements, cash flow projections, capital accounts and financial ratios.
- Analyze the financial statements of businesses to determine trends and identify potential risks.
- Apply understanding of balance sheets and income statements to effectively explain accounts found on these financial statements.
- Prepare cash flow statements to determine if businesses have adequate income to meet current financial obligations and/or determine credit needs.
- Prepare cash budgets.
- Compute various ratios to determine financial strengths and potential risks of a business.
- Demonstrate knowledge of terminology used in the statement analysis process.
- Construct pro forma forecasts to project a likely financial picture for the future.
- Spread and common size balance sheets and income statements to aid in conducting comparative and trend analysis.
- Utilitze Excel spreadsheet software to aid in calculations for analysis.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines