||This course examines play during the infant, toddler, preschool and primary school years of development. This course will examine theories of play, discover how play promotes development, examine the physical environment and its relation to play, and construct play materials appropriate to the play of children. Play is the work of children.
- Examine developmentally appropriate caregiving strategies.
- Identify children's play and how it is affected by individual differences.
- Advocate for children's right to play to parents and public.
- Construct an understanding of play and its relation to how the brain functions.
- Demonstrate appropriate play strategies in a lab setting.
- Assess children's play practices in a lab setting.
- Communicate an understanding of the importance of play to parents of children.
- Examine past influences on play theories.
- Communicate an understanding of past theorists and compare their theories to current practices.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines