||This course is an overview of early language acquisition, how literacy is best developed and what activities child care providers can do to promote the foundation for literacy development.
- Formulate a better understanding of when and how literacy development occurs.
- Demonstrate knowledge of emerging literacy skills of children - infancy through primary grades.
- Plan how early learning experiences can affect literacy acquisition.
- Examine children's literature choices.
- Evaluate children's literature choices.
- Develop appropriate literacy learning activities for young children.
- Examine special language needs of children whose primary language is not English.
- Understand various approaches to teaching literacy.
- Demonstrate ability to implement multiple comprehension strategies.
- Demonstrate ability to read or tell stories to young children.
- Demonstrate ability to enhance development of cognitive skills through appropriate higher level conversations with young children.
- Develop skills for increasing vocabulary skills for young children.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines