||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 1 and 2. This course focuses on communication issues in small groups and the importance of small group work in business today. An emphasis will be placed on improving communication skills for successful teamwork, group cohesiveness and the responsibility to group goals and tasks. Students will be provided with opportunities to build their group communication skills through practice.
|| Assessment into ENGL 1101
- Participate effectively in groups with an emphasis on listening, critical thinking, and responding in small group situations.
- Locate, evaluate, and synthesize material from various sources and points of view while working on small group projects.
- Understand principles of group membership and formation.
- Recognize effects of group norms and roles on small group communication.
- Apply various theories to improve one's ability to explain and predict small group communication and behavior.
- Employ strategies to improve innovation and creativity in small group problem-solving.
- Describe the effects of communication climate and nonverbal communication in group situations.
- Demonstrate effective leadership skills in small group situations.
- Practice a variety of problem-solving approaches in small group situations.
- Identify misconceptions relating to conflict in group situations.
- Demonstrate effective conflict management in small group situations.
|MnTC goal areas:
- (1) Communication
- (2) Critical Thinking
« back to course outlines