||Meets MnTC Goal Area 2. This course provides an introduction to communication functions in various families. The course will include theoretical and practical applications of family communication in our everyday lives, with an emphasis on how effective communication may enhance family relationships and how destructive communication may harm family relationships.
||Assessment into ENGL 1101
- Identify various definitions of family.
- Explain the changing nature of family forms and how communication plays a role in these changes.
- Understand how communication changes as families form and expand.
- Examine the principles of nurturing and control as they relate to family communication.
- Assess communication conflict styles and their respective consequences in family communication.
- Understand how communication plays a role in problematic family behavior.
- Apply family communication theories to everyday family interactions.
- Explore the communication patterns in families of origin and in current families.
- Develop practices to enhance family relationships with effective communication.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines