||Meets MnTC Goal Area 7. This course examines communication as it relates to our gendered lives. The course explores how societal views on gender are formed, maintained and transformed through various communication patterns and practices. Practical and theoretical knowledge of gendered communication and its influences on personal and professional relationships will be incorporated and analyzed.
||Assessment into ENGL 1101
- Define gender and how differing gender definitions influence communication.
- Understand how men's and women's movements in the United States have contributed to societal views of gender and gender communication.
- Describe how verbal communication shapes societal views of gender.
- Examine gendered nonverbal communication and how it affects everyday interactions.
- Explain how we become gendered through communication in our family of origin.
- Analyze how gender communication plays a role in educational and professional forums.
- Understand how perceived and/or real differences in communication between genders affects personal and professional relationships.
- Apply theoretical principles of gendered communication to everyday lives.
- Develop skills to enhance communication between and among genders.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines