||This course serves as an introduction to the American criminal justice system including police, courts and correctional systems. Minnesota Police Officer Standards and Training Board objectives are also covered in this course.
- Explain the basic concepts and terminology of the American Criminal Justice System.
- Explain the balance between community interests and individual rights.
- Compare crime in America from the perspective of each component of the criminal justice system.
- Compare the links between social perspectives and sociological concepts that impact the criminal justice system.
- Examine the history and structure of policing, police management, and the legal aspects of policing.
- Identify the courtroom workgroup and the stages of the court process.
- Explain the concepts and theories of corrections.
- Analyze current criminal justice issues and trends.
- Identify Minnesota P.O.S.T. Board learning objectives related to the administration of justice.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines