||This course includes an introduction into the development of American policing and an understanding of the modern roles and functions of police in a democratic society. These roles and functions include responsibilities in peacekeeping, law enforcement, community policing and customer service. Minnesota Police Officer Standards and Training Board learning objectives are also covered.
- Explain the historical development of policing in America.
- Examine the roles of modern day peace officers.
- Explore strategies used to deal with issues affecting today's law enforcement officer.
- Differentiate policing styles affecting American law enforcment.
- Relate the important concepts of community policing.
- Explore effective crime prevention strategies.
- Identify technological advancements aiding law enforcement.
- Examine the police "Code of Ethics" and "Code of Conduct".
- Explain proper police response.
- Differentiate varied roles within a typical police department.
- Evaluate the importance of understanding policing in a multi-cultural society and understanding diverse cultures
- Analyze gender issues related to law enforcement.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines