||This course provides the technical understanding and practical application in basic police report writing, field note taking and standardized report forms commonly used by law enforcement. Emphasis is placed on developing a clear, concise style in expressing factual, relevant information in an acceptable format relevant to criminal case procedures. Minnesota Police Officer Standards and Training Board learning objectives for police report writing are also covered.
- Recognize the importance of writing clear, concise police reports.
- Compare standardized report forms used in law enforcement.
- Develop a knowledge of proper field note-taking.
- Identify correct formats for various types of police reports.
- Demonstrate effective proofreading technique for accuracy of reports.
- Identify relevant data needed for appropriate criminal case procedures.
- Evaluate appropriate data privacy rules and regulations relating to police reporting.
- Compare standardized report forms used in probation/corrections.
- Develop a report writing style comparable to those used by local and regional law enforcement and corrections agencies.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines