||This course is designed to provide a technical background for understanding the use of computers in the real world. The course will cover both hardware and software and their applications in the world today. One of the highest-rated commercially available applications software packages will be used to gain skills necessary for word processing, electronic spreadsheets, databases and presentations. Students will use the Internet and electronic mail on a regular basis.
- Develop a thorough overview of the computer and data processing industry.
- Develop an understanding of the capabilities and limitations of computers.
- Develop a historical perspective of high technology evolution.
- Demonstrate a basic understanding of essential business applications such as word processing, spreadsheet, database management, graphics, data communications, and integration.
- Demonstrate comprehension of the purpose and function of the fundamental components of a computer system (input, output, CPU, memory, and storage).
- Demonstrate an understanding of the social relevance of computerization as it impacts our lives (automation, robotics, artificial intelligence, education, and careers).
- Develop an understanding of the main personal and controversial issues developing with computers in our world (privacy, security, government, and crime).
- Experience the challenge, mystery, and sometimes, frustration of computers.
- Demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively through technology.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines