||This course exposes the student to the preparation of various foods associated with the baking and pastry area in food service. The course provides the student with practical hands-on applications and skills commonly found in the baking and pastry area of a commercial kitchen.
- Demonstrate professionalism, teamwork and customer service.
- Demonstrate proper sanitation and safety standards.
- Demonstrate proper use, cleaning and storage of tools and food preparation equipment.
- Demonstrate and manage proper food handling, rotation and storage.
- Calculate recipe yields and conversions.
- Perform proper measuring and weighing techniques and follow proper recipe procedures and cooking methods.
- Understand basic principles and processes of baking.
- Understand ingredients used in the bakeshop.
- Prepare yeast breads.
- Perform basic yeast dough techniques.
- Prepare quick breads.
- Demonstrate basic cake mixing methods.
- Understand basic cake formula types.
- Assemble and ice layer cakes.
- Prepare pie doughs.
- Prepare pie fillings.
- Prepare eclair paste (pate a choux) and eclair paste products.
- Prepare icings.
- Demonstrate basic cookie mixing methods.
- Prepare basic meringues.
- Demonstrate sugar cooking.
- Prepare basic custards and creams.
- Prepare Bavarian creams, chiffons and mousses.
- Demonstrate sauce-painting techniques.
- Demonstrate dessert-plating techniques.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines