||This course exposes the student to the theories associated with the baking and pastry area of food service. The course introduces the student to basic principles, processes and ingredients used in the bakeshop area of a commercial kitchen.
- Calculate recipe yields and conversions.
- Describe the differences between lean, rich and laminated dough types.
- Explain basic cake mixing methods and cake formula types.
- Describe basic icings and their applications.
- Explain pie dough types and mixing methods.
- Describe the steps in preparing eclair paste (choux paste).
- Explain basic meringues.
- Explain basic principles of sugar cooking.
- Compare and contrast custards, creams, Bavarians and mousses.
- Categorize dessert sauces.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines