||This course is an introduction to the food service industry. Topics include tools and equipment, basic principles of cooking and food science, industry terminology, mise en place and food product identification.
- Demonstrate industry standards of professionalism.
- Describe mise en place.
- Understand basic concepts in food science.
- Identify food service utensils and equipment.
- Understand food service cooking terminology.
- Explain proper safety procedures and policies.
- Compare and contrast vegetables and their cooking methods.
- Compare and contrast potatoes, starches and pasta cooking procedures.
- Identify herbs and spices and their flavor profiles.
- Compare and contrast legumes and grains and their cooking methods.
- Explain basic cooking principles and processes.
- Demonstrate food product identification.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines