||This is an introductory course in the study of nutrition taught from the point of view of the chef. The course will outline current dietary guidelines and requirements, explore the function of nutrients, examine menus and recipes to optimize nutritional content and balance, and introduce healthy cooking techniques for a variety of diets.
- Identify and describe the functions of the nutrient groups.
- Discuss changing nutritional needs as a person moves through the lifecycle.
- Apply nutritional analysis to the student's own eating pattern.
- Describe the effects of diet and exercise on wellness and disease.
- Compare and contrast variations in medically accepted alternative diets.
- Examine restaurant menus for choices that reflect current dietary guidelines.
- Analyze the nutritional content of menu items and recipes.
- Modify recipes and cooking techniques to improve nutritional content.
- Design a balance restaurant menu that meets recommended dietary guidelines.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines