||This course focuses on the collective fiscal responsibilities required of the professional chef to manage the financial aspects of the professional kitchen. The class will survey and define all of the costs associated with purchasing and preparing food for sale using live operating lab. The course includes examining financial statements, sales statements, vendors, ordering food, creating order guides, managing inventory, determining the value of inventory, cost of labor and establishing the true cost of food sold.
- Identify and explain the common financial statements and terminology applied in the professional kitchen.
- Identify and explain the flow of money in the professional kitchen.
- Identify and explain the cost of food sold and the various factors that affect costs.
- Calculate common kitchen financials using Microsoft Excel.
- Identify and explain sales receipts and reports.
- Calculate menu item matrices using Excel.
- Identify and explain menu item costing.
- Calculate menu item costs and pricing using Excel
- Examine the purchasing process including selecting vendors.
- Examine storeroom issue and inventory systems.
- Calculate inventory and cost of food sold using Excel.
- Identify and calculate labor costs and various factors that influence labor costs.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines