||This course is for students in their first semester of study in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) cohort. The course pairs with ENGL0097: Express English and an academic content course. Students will learn strategies for taking notes and analyzing texts, identifying patterns of error in their writing and applying strategies for increasing sentence-level accuracy.
||Course placement is determined by assessment
||Enrollment in ENGL0097: Express English and paired MnTC course is required for students registering for this course
- Demonstrate comprehension of texts through a variety of activities: note-taking, small-group discussion, creation of graphic organizers, etc.
- Apply active reading strategies, i.e. annotate texts using a variety of strategies.
- Recognize common roots, suffixes and prefixes of academic and specialized vocabulary.
- Combine and apply appropriate reading and study strategies in preparation for exams.
- Analyze the language structures of texts: phrase and clause constructions, use of logical connectors, etc.
- Rewrite sentences, paragraphs and essays for increased grammatical accuracy.
- Identify individual patterns of error and apply appropriate editing strategies.
- Employ meta-cognitive strategies for assessing individual growth in writing proficiency.
- Practice integrating and crediting sources in writing.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines