||This course is for students in their first semester of study in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) cohort and pairs with an academic content course. Students will learn specific strategies for building vocabulary, taking notes and analyzing texts from a specific field.
||Course placement is determined by assessment
||Enrollment in paired MnTC course is required for students registering for this course
- Demonstrate comprehension of texts through a variety of activities: note-taking, small-group discussion, creation of graphic organizers, etc.
- Apply active reading strategies, i.e. annotate texts using a variety of strategies.
- Recognize common roots, suffixes and prefixes of academic and specialized vocabulary.
- Analyze the language structures of texts: phrase and clause constructions, use of logical connectors, etc.
- Build understanding of cultural contexts of reading to develop and activate cultural schemata.
- Combine and apply appropriate reading and study strategies in preparation for exams.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines