||This course is for students in their second semester of study in the English for Academic Purposes (EAP) cohort and pairs with a content course. Students will continue to develop language skills necessary to read and understand field-specific texts.
||Course placement is determined by assessment
||Enrollment in paired MnTC course is required for students registering for this course
- Explain the meaning of texts through a variety of activities: small-group discussion, presentations, written summaries, etc.
- Describe individual reading processes, including tasks used before, during and after reading.
- Build academic vocabulary - both recognized and working vocabulary.
- Analyze the language structures of texts: phrase and clause constructions, use of logical connectors, etc.
- Build understanding of cultural contexts of reading to develop and activate cultural schemata.
- Combine and apply appropriate reading and study strategies in preparation for exams.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines