||This reading course is for non-native learners of English. Students will learn the skills and vocabulary necessary to read college-level materials with emphasis given to effective note taking and summarizing. Students will engage in frequent large and small group discussions of reading material and be exposed to a variety of reading strategies.
- Demonstrate comprehension of readings by completing specific tasks: exercises, outlines, charts, graphs, and summaries.
- Develop note-taking skills of key points of reading.
- Articulate the meaning of key vocabulary verbally and in writing.
- Analyze written structures for context clues showing word meaning, comparison, sequence, and summary.
- Apply active reading methods.
- Understand a number of reading methods.
- Participate in group discussions and understand effective group work especially acknowledging the opinions of others and identifying threads of conversation.
- Express oral opinions to represent the perspective of the individual and others.
- Become aware of issues of academic integrity when summarizing or paraphrasing others' writings.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines