||This course is for non-native learners of English. Students will develop the listening and speaking skills necessary for participating in college-level classroom discussion, incorporating oral presentation and fostering critical listening skills needed for taking notes and understanding lectures.
- Identify and restate key points of a given speech, lecture or story.
- Distinguish lecture organization styles, including chronology, process, classification, comparison and causal analysis.
- Record useable notes through strategies designed for each lecture type.
- Create charts, graphs or graphics based on lecture content.
- Analyze lectures for meaning expressed by direct statements as well as inferred meaning.
- Practice pronuniciation and enunciation features determined by the instructor.
- Practice appropriate listening skills in a variety of classroom situations including lectures, videos and student speeches.
- Create outlines for class presentations.
- Employ language appropriate to audience and situation while speaking.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines