||This writing course is for non-native learners of English and is designed to prepare students for ELL1080: ELL Writing II. Students will learn the short essay form for expository writing, emphasizing sentence and paragraph structures as well as editing for increased accuracy.
- Use various rhetorical modes such as narration, description, comparison, cause and effect, etc.
- Compose short essays with proper theses, introductions, body paragraphs and conclusions.
- Experiment with a variety of sentence patterns.
- Use both direct and indirect speech.
- Apply basic formatting to documents using the basic functions of a word processing program.
- Use quotations, definitions and/or anecdotes effectively in introductory material.
- Use proper paragraph format including indentation, capitalization and basic punctuation.
- Construct paragraphs that are limited to a single sub-topic or aspect of the main topic.
- Construct suitable titles that are properly capitalized.
- Strengthen accuracy in article use.
- Distinguish between the passive and active forms of verbs.
- Recognize patterns of error and appropriate editing strategies for correcting them.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines