||This developmental reading course is designed to provide students with a foundation in more advanced reading and study skills. Students will develop increased proficiency in reading and understanding college-level texts. Students will learn to recognize the main ideas in articles and chapters, summarize content and read actively and critically. In addition, the course will concentrate on reading-related study skills such as effective note-taking from texts, proper annotation of texts and reading skills for effective test taking. An emphasis on building college-level vocabulary will also be stressed.
- Differentiate between fact and opinion in texts.
- Summarize content and recognize main ideas in articles and chapters.
- Develop reading skills and apply active reading strategies.
- Improve confidence and interest in reading.
- Read critically college level texts in diverse disciplines.
- Develop effective note-taking and test-taking strategies related to reading.
- Develop college level vocabulary.
- Develop and apply meta-cognitive strategies to reading.
- Differentiate among various reading purposes and apply correlative tactics.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines