||This basic course in mechanics, usage, sentence patterns, paragraphing and essay development is designed to provide a foundation for essential writing skills. Students will begin the process of close reading in preparation for college English courses.
- Identify personal strengths and weaknesses through meta-analysis of writing.
- Apply proper punctuation to sentences, paragraphs, and essays.
- Develop editing and proofreading skill.
- Identify and select appropriate rhetorical modes for specific communication purposes.
- Create clear, well constructed sentences and paragraphs.
- Respond critically to the writing of others.
- Practice application of appropriate tone and voice in writing based upon intended audience.
- Select proper register for written work based upon purpose and audience.
- Practice proper formatting for essays in college writing.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines