||This course meets MnTC Goal Area 6F. The creative writing course focuses on the writing of short fiction, poetry and plays. It is a course designed to offer students practice in the composition of these three modes, with room for exploration of each genre's sub-categories. Emphasis will be on writing original work and on learning the skills needed to revise this work in order to achieve a desired response from an audience. This course will emphasize helping students learn to develop their creative voice and incorporate study of published works to aid students in this goal. This course counts as a fine arts course; it places emphasis on the creation of fine arts as opposed to the formal, critical analysis of them. Course delivery will include a traditional class format as well as workshop settings, where students' work will be read, analyzed and critiqued by others in the class. The course may include the following: presenting and submitting manuscripts, analyzing the motivation for writers, editing and criticism, techniques for reading work aloud and analyzing masterpiece models. Evaluation of course competencies may be based on writing journals, portfolios, presentations, large and small group discussions, collaborative tasks, manuscripts (completed or works in progress) and/or public readings of student works.
- Respond critically to the creative writing efforts of others.
- Write original, creative works with artistry and style, using the various tools and elements available to writers of literary works.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to one's own creative works.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to the creative works of others.
- Demonstrate an awareness of audience.
- Understand how creative writing can express values within the writer's particular historical and social context.
- Understand how creative writing can express their own values within the student's particular historical and social context.
- Demonstrate awareness of the scope and variety of the artistic nature of creative writing.
- Revise written work based on expanding knowlege of the genres and, if appropriate, feedback from informed readers.
|MnTC goal areas:
- 6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
« back to course outlines