||Meets MnTC Goal Area 6F. This creative writing course focuses on the writing of poetry. It is a workshop designed to offer students practice in the composition of poetry and poetic modes of writing. Emphasis will be on writing original work and on learning the skills needed to write successful poetry. The course will emphasize helping students learn to develop their creative voice. This course counts as a fine arts course; it places emphasis on the creation of fine arts as opposed to the formal, critical analysis of them.
- Demonstrate awareness of the historical and cultural scope of the artistic nature of creative writing.
- Understand how creative writing can express universal values within the writer's particular social and historical context.
- Respond critically and respectfully to the creative writing efforts of others.
- Write poetry with artistry and style.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to one's own poetry.
- Revise written work based on expanding knowlege of poetry and, if appropriate, feedback from informed readers
- Demonstrate awareness of the variety of works within the genre of poetry.
- Identify the various tools and elements available to writers of poetry.
- Experiment with and employ the tools and elements available to writers of poetry.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to the poetry of others.
- Engage in the spontaneous exercises of the creative process.
- Engage in the structured exercises of the creative process.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines