||Meets MnTC Goal Area 6F. This creative writing course focuses on the writing of memoir. It is a workshop designed to offer students practice in the composition of memoir, from autobiographical vignettes to fully developed personal narratives. Emphasis will be on writing and critiquing original work as well as reading and modeling exemplary memoir writing. This course counts as a fine arts course as it emphasizes the creation of fine arts as opposed to the formal critical analysis of them.
- Demonstrate awareness of the historical and cultural scope of the artistic nature of creative writing.
- Demonstrate awareness of the variety of works in creative non-fiction.
- Articulate how creative writing can express universal values within the writer's particular historical and social context.
- Respond critically and respectfully to the creative writing efforts of others.
- Identify the various tools and elements available to writers within a given literary genre.
- Articulate how creative writing can express personal values within the writer's particular historical and social context.
- Write creative works with voice, authority, and style.
- Experiment with and employ the tools and elements available to writers within a given literary genre.
- Engage in the spontaneous exercises of creative process.
- Engage in the structured exercises of the creative process.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to one's own creative works.
- Articulate an informed personal reaction to the creative works of others.
|MnTC goal areas:
- 6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
« back to course outlines