||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 2 and 6. This course focuses on the study of poetry and poetic techniques through the lyrics of rock music. Specifically, the course will include studies of artists from the rock 'n' roll era (1950s through today).
Or concurrent enrollment
- Define traditional poetic techniques and terms.
- Identify poetic techniques and terms within song lyrics.
- Examine a variety of lyrics from the rock and roll era for their connections to historical, sociological, and cultural constructs.
- Compare and contrast lyrical themes from the beginnings of rock poetry to now.
- Interpret levels of meaning within the poetic texts.
- Respond verbally and in writing to poetic texts as well as other students' interpretations.
- Evaluate the merits of rock and roll lyrics as poetry.
- Construct and compose analytical essays about the texts.
- Participate in small and large group discussions of the texts.
|MnTC goal areas:
- 2. Critical Thinking
- 6. The Humanities and Fine Arts
« back to course outlines