||This course will introduce the student to the basics of horse handling, hoof and leg anatomy and physiology from a farrier's perspective. The course will include theory and demonstrations of proper trimming and shoeing. The student will demonstrate correct trimming and shoeing on cadaver feet. The concept of corrective farrier work will also be introduced and demonstrated.
- Demonstrate knowledge of equine leg and hoof anatomy and physiology.
- Identify natural gaits.
- Explain the concept of balance relative to hoof and leg health.
- Explain the role of hoof angle and toe length relative to hoof and leg health.
- Identify various types of horse shoes and their applications.
- Demonstrate the ability to pick up and hold a front and rear hoof.
- Demonstrate the ability to correctly trim a cadaver hoof.
- Demonstrate the ability to nail a shoe on a cadaver hoof.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines