||This is an introductory laboratory course that prepares students for basic field utility work, including safety procedures and equipment operation. This course focuses on hands-on application and is intended to help students become confident in safely operating basic gas utility equipment.
- Explain the characteristics and hazards of propane and natural gas.
- Operate tools in the gas industry in a safe manner.
- Operate vehicles commonly used by the gas industry.
- Demonstrate the use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Operate a backhoe/loader.
- Operate trenchers.
- Operate compressors.
- Join plastic pipes with heat fusion using fusion processes.
- Prepare for excavation hazards.
- Demonstrate confined space entry and rescue requirements.
- Locate underground facilities.
- Perform tracer wire connections.
- Become familiar with OQ (operator qualifications) used in gas utility industry.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines