||As the first of three layout courses in a series, this course introduces students to the basic elements and principles of design. Students will produce a variety of projects that will familiarize them with basic design theories, branding philosophies and production techniques. In addition to hand-rendered projects, students will also begin to learn technical layout skills in Adobe InDesign.
- Define the graphic design industry.
- Explore creative problem-solving, brainstorming and thumbnailing techniques.
- Identify proper design and production terminology.
- Identify the elements and principles of design.
- Understand and apply color theory.
- Understand and apply typography techniques.
- Understand and apply basic layout grids.
- Demonstrate proficiency using the basic tools of Adobe InDesign.
- Create a variety of design projects using Adobe software and hand-rendering skills.
- Evaluate design solutions by defending own work and critiquing the work of others.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines