||As the first of three layout and design courses in a series, this foundational course introduces students to the basic elements and principles of design. Students will produce a variety of design projects that will familiarize them with the creative process, basic design theories, branding philosophies and production techniques. Most projects will be created using Adobe Creative Suite applications.
- Define the graphic design industry in terms of careers, required skills and current applications.
- Explore creative problem solving, brainstorming and thumbnailing techniques.
- Identify proper design and production terminology.
- Identify the elements and principles of design.
- Apply and understand color theory.
- Apply and understand typography techniques.
- Apply and understand composition techniques.
- Evaluate design solutions by defending own work and critiquing others' work.
- Develop proficiency in industry software required to create projects.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines