||Meets MnTC Goal Area 5. This course deals with the history of baseball in America. The course examines the origin of baseball, the development of professional baseball, the creation of baseball leagues, the business of baseball, baseball scandals, labor relations, great moments in baseball history, baseball curses and the steroids era. The course not only examines the history of the game itself, but also emphasizes the ways in which baseball has shaped American society and American society has shaped baseball.
- Describe the origins of baseball.
- Summarize the development of professionalism.
- Analyze the connections between urbanization and baseball.
- Contrast the first professional leagues.
- Explain the development of the World Series.
- Summarize the connection between technology/science and baseball.
- Anazyze labor relations in major league baseball.
- Identify some of baseball's greatest moments.
- Describe World War I's effect on baseball.
- Summarize race relations in baseball.
- Explain the Marvin Miller Era.
- Describe the Steroids Era.
|MnTC goal areas:
- (5) History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
« back to course outlines