||This course is a continuation of coding guidelines using the current classification system. Students will practice assigning procedure codes to clinical information found in a health record while maintaining ethical coding standards. Current regulations and guidelines in code assignment will be covered. A Web-based coding system is introduced and utilized in procedure code assignment.
- Evaluate the accuracy of procedure coding.
- Utilize encoder software for assigning procedure codes.
- Determine accuracy of computer-assisted coding assignment and recommend corrective action.
- Develop physician queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Apply procedure codes according to current regulations and guidelines.
- Analyze documentation in the health record to ensure it supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and disharge status.
- Verify the documentation in the health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Analyze current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
- Comply with ethical standards of practice.
- Utilize multiple coding references.
- Design a compliance audit.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines