||This course focuses on the International Classification of Diseases (ICD) coding system. Emphasis will be placed on the correct process of utilizing the alphabetic index and tabular list for diagnosis code assignment according to current coding conventions and guidelines. Students will interpret clinical information found in the health record in order to assign diagnosis codes while maintaining ethical coding standards.
- Describe the International Classification of Diseases code book structure and format.
- Identify and validate coding data.
- Apply clinical modification guidelines.
- Demonstrate the correct steps in proper code assigment.
- Apply diagnosis codes according to current regulations and established guidelines in clinical classification systems.
- Verify documentation in the health record is timely, complete and accurate.
- Review documentation in the health record to ensure it supports the diagnosis and reflects the patient's progress, clinical findings and disharge status.
- Comply with ethical standards of practice.
- Develop queries to resolve data and coding discrepancies.
- Define compliance as it relates to coding.
- Explain confidentiality as it applies to coding.
- Summarize the different sections of the health record.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines