||This course covers basic information about the history of labor unions, current labor laws, the current role of labor unions, workers compensation laws and the rights of employees.
- Review the historical background of unionism.
- Review the role of the National Labor Relations Board.
- Examine the different approaches to unionism.
- Identify labor union's current role.
- Examine the collective bargaining process.
- Review the effects of the labor law on union and management.
- Compare the positions of both union and management related to the employee/employer relationship.
- Relate the importance of interpersonal communication, trust, and conflict management skills in employee relations.
- Describe the factors both ethical and unethical related to the collective bargaining process.
- Identify the elements of a typical grievance procedure.
- Identify the differences of public sector and private sector bargaining.
- Identify mediation and alternative dispute resolution procedures in settling labor disputes.
- Analyze existing labor agreements.
- Demonstrate contract negotiation techniques.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines