||Meets MnTC Goal Areas 5 and 9. This course provides an introductory overview and history of the rapidly growing world of mass communication, with an emphasis on the United States. There will be specific analysis of the media industry including newspapers, radio, television, film, books, magazines, advertising, public relations and new media technology. Topics will include public relations, the role of government, values and ethics, and media effects.
||Assessment into ENGL 1101
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of mass communication and a variety of mediums.
- Understand the influence and impact the media and each medium has and has had on society.
- Explore and analyze various media.
- Examine cultural responses to various mediums.
- Critically analyze the various ethical issues that face the media industry.
- Relate core communication concepts to a variety of media examples.
- Research and analyze the legal and ethical issues media has historically faced.
- Apply tools and technologies appropriate for the communication medium.
- Evaluate information obtained through the news media that influence our political society.
|MnTC goal areas:
- 3. Personal, Social, and Ethical Responsibility
- 5. History and the Social and Behavioral Sciences
- 9. Ethical and Civic Responsibility
« back to course outlines