||This course further develops clinical skills for the medical assistant. Students will perform venipunctures and capillary punctures and perform medication administration techniques. Additionally, students will collect and test specimens using proper specimen-handling procedures as dictated by the Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI).
- Demonstrate knowledge and proper use of personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Communicate specimen collection procedures with patients.
- Collect specimens for hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, immunology and microbiology tests.
- Perform hematology, chemistry, urinalysis, immunology and microbiology tests.
- Demonstrate proper use of laboratory equipment.
- Prepare and perform procedures within a sterile field.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of biohazardous material including sharps and regulated wastes.
- Demonstrate the rules of medication administration including the right patient, right medication, right dose, right route, right time and right documentation.
- Demonstrate proper procedures for venipunctures and capillary punctures.
- Select proper sites for administration of different medications.
- Calculate medication dosage with 100 percent accuracy.
- Perform an immunization evaluation.
- Demonstrate proper use and pronunciation of medical terminology.
- Discuss vaccine forecasting.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines