||This course provides clinical phlebotomy experience for phlebotomy technician students in an affiliate hospital/clinic laboratory under the supervision of qualified technicians and technologists. Training includes blood and body fluid collection, processing and storage.
- Evaluate the importance of proper patient identification, specimen labeling, transport, processing and storage of blood and body fluid.
- Select proper phlebotomy equipment for laboratory tests ordered.
- Demonstrate proper venipuncture and capillary blood collection procedures.
- Identify blood and body fluid specimens as acceptable or unacceptable for analysis.
- Justify reasons for specimen rejection.
- Evaluate quality assurance and quality control as they pertain to phlebotomy.
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and maintain patient confidentiality.
- Interact with colleagues and patients in a professional manner.
- Demonstrate laboratory safety and the use of Standard Precautions.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines