||This course provides a clinical experience in the chemistry laboratory at an affiliate hospital. Students learn to perform body chemistry methods on automated and semi-automated instruments under the supervision of qualified laboratory personnel. The course also includes clinical experience in special chemistry testing including hormones, vitamins, therapeutic drug monitoring and drugs of abuse.
- Demonstrate laboratory safety and use of standard precautions.
- Evaluate quality assurance and quality control as they pertain to clinical chemistry.
- Identify patient specimens as acceptable or unacceptable for chemical analysis and justify reasons for specimen rejection.
- Perform maintenance and calibration on chemistry analyzers.
- Perform routine chemistry analysis on patient specimens.
- Correlate patient test results with health and disease states.
- Correlate patient test results to the organs affected.
- Evaluate patient analytical test results as acceptable or unacceptable to report.
- Troubleshoot errors and unexpected test results in clinical chemistry testing.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines