||This course provides further instruction and study of the techniques of blood group serology and compatibility testing and the selection of the proper blood component for the patient. Adverse reaction to blood products and reaction investigations are discussed. Discussions of donor screening, blood processing and component preparations are in accordance with the American Association of Blood Bank Standards. This course is taken as part of the clinical rotation through blood bank.
- Determine suitability of specimens for any given blood group serology test.
- Resolve antigen and antibody testing problems in blood group serology.
- Determine proper identification, collection, transport, processing and storage of donor blood and blood products.
- Perform and evaluate quality control in blood bank.
- Perform blood bank laboratory procedures including ABO, Rh and antibody screen.
- Analyze test results to determine whether a transfusion reaction has occurred.
- Interpret tests performed on donor blood for communicable diseases.
- Select suitable blood components for transfusion.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines