||Meets MnTC Goal Area 6. Through jazz music itself, students will learn about the styles within jazz and the prominent performers from the birth of the blues and ragtime through jazz-rock fusion to the new age, smooth, acid and hip-hop jazz styles of today. Jazz music is uniquely American in origin, and the effects that society and jazz music have had on each other will be explored.
- Demonstrate an awareness of the scope and variety of jazz music from the early 1900's to the present.
- Respond critically to jazz music.
- Recognize individual works and genres of jazz music.
- Demonstrate the ability to place current performances into historical and stylistic contexts.
- Analyze particular stylistic genres.
- Understand this music as expressions of individual and human values within the historical and social context of the early 1900s to the present.
- Analyze jazz performers from the early 1900s to the present.
- Demonstrate an understanding of current trends and styles of jazz music.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines