||This course will introduce the basic knowledge and skills required of paralegals. Students will learn the basics of the American legal system along with skills such as researching legal issues, interviewing clients and witnesses, and drafting motions and pleadings. By the end of this course, students will have a clear understanding of what a paralegal does, the skills needed to be a successful paralegal and what it will take to begin a career as a paralegal.
- Explain the American legal system.
- Explain paralegal employment options.
- Describe paralegal professional responsibilities.
- Explain legal/paralegal ethics.
- Perform entry-level legal research.
- Perform entry-level legal writing.
- Assess legal interviewing and investigation skills.
- Explain law office administration procedures.
- Demonstrate effective use of legal terminology.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines