||This course focuses on lifeguarding skills, first aid, cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) and automated external defibrillator (AED) skills. This course has no prerequisites, but students will be required to demonstrate strong swimming skills within the first week of the course, based on Red Cross definitions. Students who complete this course will be eligible to take the Red Cross lifeguard exam.
- Demonstrate the use of safety equipment in a water environment.
- Demonstrate defenses, releases and escapes while engaging in a rescue.
- Demonstrate the ability to search for and rescue a submerged victim.
- Demonstrate the proper use of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR).
- Demonstarte emergency first aid procedures.
- Perform all Red Cross water rescues.
- Properly communicate with swimming patrons.
- Demonstrate the use of an automated external defibrillator (AED).
- Demonstrate the use of rescue equipment in a water environment.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines