||This course introduces students to a variety of artisan food crafts and the evolving trend of gastropreneurism. Students will investigate a variety of value-added agricultural enterprises.
- Examine the emerging trends in food consumption.
- Discuss differences in food production philosophies.
- Outline differences in food processing philosophies.
- Differentiate among food labels.
- Outline ways to add value to dairy.
- Identify ways to add value to grains.
- Summarize techniques to add value to fruit and vegetable crops.
- Summarize ways to add value to meats.
- Give examples of effective agroforestry enterprises.
- Demonstrate common food preservation techniques.
- Discuss a variety of opportunities for agritourism.
- Outline Minnesota rules and regulations pertaining to processing and marketing artisan foods.
- Identify the basic biological and chemical principles inherent to food preservation.
- Conduct a pH test.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines