||This course explores the role of surgical technologists. Fundamental principles of asepsis, professionalism, communication, universal precautions, the surgical team, operating room environment and patient care concepts are introduced.
|| Acceptance into the Surgical Technology program.
- Explore the historical foundation of surgery.
- Distinguish operating team and interdepartmental roles and responsibilities.
- Identify physical aspects of the operating suite, differentiating between acute care and ambulatory settings.
- Describe professional credentialing.
- Identify the rights of the patient to receive high quality care.
- Explore types of documentation used in the operating room.
- Explain the different types of informed consent.
- Identify legal, ethical and moral issues affecting patient, family and surgical team.
- Explain responsibility and accountability.
- Examine personal beliefs, values and biases.
- Identify physical, mental, emotional and social changes that occur throughout the lifespan.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines