||This course introduces the student to patient care in an operating room in the role of surgical technologist.
||Successful completion of all SURT courses with a C or better.
- Perform draping correctly for each surgical procedure.
- Demonstrate proper handling of equipment.
- Perform and reconcile tally counts per hospital policy.
- Maintain asepsis, including surgical scrub, gown and glove of self and other team members.
- Obtain and handle specimens per hospital policy.
- Maintain sterile field.
- Establish perioperative priorities.
- Anticipate needs of surgical team members.
- Demonstrate professional and ethical behavior.
- Insert urinary catheter.
- Complete required documentation of the surgical procedure in the medical record correctly.
- Verify informed consent and operative permit.
- Demonstrate safe handling of infectious/hazardous waste.
- Assist with preparation and administration of medication.
- Prepare hemostatic agents and devices; accurately calculate blood loss.
- Read and understand surgeon preference cards.
- Perform surgical procdures at an entry-level competency for the first scrub role.
- Apply knowledge of surgical case flow to clinical practice.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines