||This course covers the fundamentals of hydrotherapy and sports massage. Students will be taught to perform massage treatments specific to individual sports. The course addresses pre-, post- and event-sports massage techniques, as well as rehabilitative massage for injuries and maintenance massage. Students will also be instructed on the use of hydrotherapy techniques. Hydrotherapy will address the application of water as treatment in each of its three forms, hot and cold treatments, hydrocollators, body wraps and salt glows. These green techniques can be implemented into Swedish massage treatments and sports massage.
- Define sports massage.
- List the benefits of sports massage.
- Differentiate between pre-event, post-event, inter-event, restorative and rehabilitative event sports massage.
- Differentiate between acute and chronic injuries.
- Define hydrotherapy.
- List the benefits of hydrotherapy.
- List the three forms of water used in hydrotherapy and give examples of each.
- Identify and demonstrate the uses of hot and cold treatments.
- Describe and perform a paraffin wax treatment.
- Describe and perform an aromatherapy facial steam.
- Describe and perform a salt glow.
- Describe and perform a mud wrap.
- Describe and perform a seaweed wrap.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines