||This course examines wines from different countries including France, Italy, Spain, Portugal, the Unites States, Mexico, Chile, New Zealand and South Africa. Additional topics may include identifying the main regions, wine laws, wine varieties, and geography/climate for growing grapes and producing wine. Students will learn about the terroir elements and human-controlled elements of wine. Students will also be exposed to the cultural aspects of terroir such as celebrations and rituals based on geographical regions. Note: All persons must be at least 21 years of age and have a photo ID as proof of age before enrolling.
|| WINE1100 AND Note: All persons enrolling must be of at least 21 years of age and present a photo ID.
- Examine history, geography, and climate of individual country's wine regions.
- Identify country's red and white grape varieties.
- Explore wines from specific geographic regions.
- Examine wine laws and decrees for different geographic regions.
- Taste and compare wines from different countries.
- Read and interpret wine labels.
- Understand the three different elements of terroir and how they impact growth of grapes.
- Understand the commercial importance of terroir.
- Understand the appellation and protected geographical indication used to identify where the grapes for a wine were grown.
|MnTC goal areas:
« back to course outlines